Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Web Conferencing and Webcasting?
Web Conferencing is a "collaborative" tool that can be considered the online equivalent of a live group meeting.
• Used for ad-hoc day to day meetings
• A live event application
• An on-demand software application allowing hosts to start and end meetings whenever the need arises.
• Supports webcam video.
Webcasting is a "one to many" application used to "broadcast" a message to large audiences.
• Used to communicate a "message" to large audiences
• Customizable service
• Needs to be scheduled in advance
• Can be delivered live or on demand with each event being recorded, archived, and hosted.
How many seconds does it take to be the active speaker and appear in the larger window box? Example: If someone rustles with paper, will they automatically appear in the larger box?
The Speaker Change Threshold indicates the amount of time a participant must speak continuously before becoming the speaker. Select the desired threshold:
• Auto (Default, 3 seconds)
• 1.5 seconds
• 3 seconds
• 5 seconds
Our bridges are set for the Auto (3 second) default.
Can I dial *87 from the panel to disconnect all participants from the call?
Normally only the Chairperson has access to the *87 code to terminate the call. But, we have a couple of options;
• Enable *87 for everyone on your calls and hope no one uses it that shouldn’t
• Enable Chairperson/Participant codes. This means than once you join the Virtual Meeting Room you will be prompted to enter an addition PIN code.
How many days prior to the meeting do you need to provide you (Resolve) with regards to additional capacity?
A week if possible. But, it can be done on short notice if necessary.
Did Polycom develop a RealPresence app for the Blackberry 10?
At this time there is no client for Blackberry.
Should all the RealPresence client / apps be configured with the Server: video1.dvchost.com?
• You can have as many user accounts as you want at no extra cost. They can be tied to a specific username so you know who is using what account.
• Server address is correct: video1.dvchost.com. If for some reason your user has an issue with DNS resolution, you can also use the IP address of 188.8.131.52
How can a guest join the virtual room?
• Guests - You can request an additional username/password and they can install the RP client on their device. On February 2nd we will be launching a new extension to the service allowing to participants to join as a guest from a browser.
• Virtual Meeting Rooms - You can have as many Virtual Meeting Rooms as you would like at no extra cost.
• PIN Codes - We can enable PIN codes on your account. This will prompt for an additional access code when participants join the meeting. You can change the codes anytime you like using your videoconference system.
got a question?
we'll answer it!